Sunday 4 September 2011

My birthday!!!

Yes it is true! I am 19!!

And it is showing to be a wonderful birthday weekend so far.

I recieved some lovely flowers
 ...they're from a boy :)

I also went to go see a movie called "Crazy Stupid Love" with one of my best friends.

HILARIOUS!!! My new favourite.

 I'm also taking this long weekend to get prepped for my busy week ahead... my first full week of school, training, and life all mixed together!
I like to have some ready made meals in my freezer in case I have an extra hectic day, and get home with no time or energy to make a fabulous dinner.

I made some freezer meals based on this Clean Eating Magazine recipe:

Roasted Salmon and Summer Vegetable Feta Farro Salad




INGREDIENTS
1 cup farro
1 pint grape tomatoes
1 small head cauliflower, stemmed and cut into florets
2 medium yellow bell peppers, cut into 1/2-inch chunks
1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
4 cloves garlic
2 tsp. mustard
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
2 heads kale, tough stems trimmed, leaves torn into 2-inch pieces, rinsed and dried
8 oz. boneless, skinless salmon fillet
1/2 cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese

DIRECTIONS
1. In a medium saucepot on medium-high heat, bring farro and 2 cups water to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and cover.  Simmer until tender, about 20-25 minutes.  Drain, then spread farro onto a baking sheet and let cool to room temperature.

2. Preheat oven to 375.  In a 9 x 13-inch baking dish, toss tomatoes, cauliflower, bell peppers, onion and garlic.  In small bowl, whisk mustard, vinegar, oil and black pepper.  Drizzle mustard mixture over top of vegetables and toss to coat.  Cover dish with foil and transfer to lowest oven rack.  Roast for 15 minutes, then remove foil and roast for an additional 15 minutes, until vegetables are soft and tender, yet slightly crunchy.

3. On a 9 x 13-inch baking sheet, spread out kale.  In a separate small baking fish, place salmon.  Bake kale and salmon on top oven rack for 15 minutes, until kale is crisp and salmon is cooked through.  Remove from oven and break salmon into large flakes.

4. Add farro and feta to roasted-tomato cauliflower mixture and stir gently to combine farro with juices from vegetables.  Divide among wide, shallow bowls and top with kale and salmon.

Nutritional Info
Makes 4 servings
349 Calories
11g Fat
42g Carbs
8g Sugar
9g Fiber
25g Protein  



I altered the recipe to fit my frozen meals, but it was more or less the same ingredients!

First the veggies
 Then the grains
 Then the salmon!

Happy long weekend everyone!
~Princess

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy belated birthday! I hope it was a good one! I keep hearing great things about that movie--I'll definitely have to see it soon!!

Post a Comment