Sunday 1 January 2012

Big batch muffins!

At home during the holidays, with nothing but time on my hands! What to do?
Why not bake a huge batch of muffins?!
source
When I start January all motivated to make great lunches to take to school with me, I'm going to be so ready in the snack department. Just grab some muffins from the freezer, and they'll be perfectly defrosted by snack time. No effort required!!

I started with this basic muffin recipe (it's good to double or triple it):

Note: It uses light spelt flour, which gives a more 'cake like' texture.

Basic Muffins
Ingredients
  • 2 cups light spelt flour
  • 2 tbsp wheat bran
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup evaporated cane juice
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (205 degrees C).
  2. Stir together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. In a small bowl or 2 cup measuring cup, beat egg with a fork. Stir in milk and oil. Pour all at once into the well in the flour mixture. Mix quickly and lightly with a fork until moistened, but do not beat. The batter will be lumpy. Pour the batter into paper lined muffin pan cups.               
  3. Bake for 25 minutes, or until golden.         


I followed this recipe, but before I poured them into the muffin tray, I separated the dough into a few batches and made some variations. Look ma, no recipe!!!

Granola muffins: Kashi granola, dried fruit, sliced almonds. (Top right)
Blueberry walnut: fresh blueberries, chopped walnuts, vanila, cinnamon. (Bottom left)
Tropical muffins: flaked coconut, rum extract, toopped with banana slices ( Bottom right)
Cinnamon bun muffins: cinnamon, raisins (Top left)


Hope everyone had a great new years, and your heads feel okay today ;)

~Princess

3 comments:

Hilliary Meisner said...

Oh yum! I love the flavor combinations you did! Thanks so much for sharing. I hope your year is off to a fantastic start!

Molly@hungryhungryrunner.com said...

Customized muffins - I love it! Muffins are definitely one of my favorite go-to snacks so I will definitely be making these! :)

Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill said...

I used to make big batches of muffins then freeze them for on-the-go breakfasts. I need to start doing that again!

Post a Comment