Wednesday 17 August 2011

Sister of the Princess: Tropical Salsa

This is a little story from my lovely Hawaiian sister, who is too wonderful for words:

GUEST POST 
by the Sister of the Princess


"What is that?! you gasp.

It is the wasted remains of what was once a proud and delicious jar of Green Mountain Gringo salsa. You see, yesterday my neighbourhood natural foods store was having a sale, and I took this as a sign that I should buy all my favourite things. Unfortunately (fortunately?), I have a lot of favourite things, and it was a few too many things for my beach bag. This bag had accompanied me on cross-continent adventures but the two-block stroll to my house was too much when under the strain of four boxes of chickpea burgers. To make a long story short, my salsa is now mostly in the parking lot of my building.

It was almost 100 degrees out yesterday, so you'lI probably understand my I wasn't really eager to go back and buy another one. I was pretty bummed, but being bummed wasn't going to get me the delicious flavour combinations of my beloved salsa. Luckily a very wise person had recently reminded me that when you're sad, sometimes it's best to stop being sad and start being awesome. I said to myself, "Self, I think we can fix this situation". I could just make my own salsa! I had the ingredients! I had the creativity! I had the broken hunk of the jar with the ingredients printed on it!

I had a big pile of fruit on hand, so I decided to attempt making a tropical salsa. After looking through the kitchen these are the ingredients I decided to use:


2 plum tomatoes
2 ripe mangoes
1 sweet onion
2 jalapenos (seeds removed if you're not super into spicy)
3 green onions
1 lemon
6 limes
A few springs of cilantro
A few springs of fresh mint
Salt
Pepper
Splash of apple cider vinegar

Dice the tomatoes, mango, jalapeno, sweet onion into a big bowl. Add the torn mint and cilantro. Squeeze in the juice of the lemons and limes, then add salt and pepper to taste. Lastly, add just a little splash of the vinegar.. You can hardly even taste it in the finished salsa, but it helps cut the sweetness of the mango and give it some extra tang. Give everything a good mix, then garnish with chopped green onions.

This salsa is really fresh tasting and slightly sweet. It's not very spicy, but you can taste the jalapenos. We ate ours with Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips, but I bet it would taste equally good with rice and beans or over a piece of grilled fish. My husband says he'd eat it over ice cream, but he's always been… original. It seemed to be a hit even without the ice cream though, because the leftovers didn't make it through the night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually have a bag of tortilla chips at home with no dip and when I saw this post, I went, "HRMMMM..." Well, I guess you can figure out how that went. ;)

Anonymous said...

awww poor salsa!! haha i'm glad you remedied it by creating your own htough! eveeeen better:) and you are awesome, I'm so glad that you're reading my blog now and i'm excited to read more of yours, too. :)

Post a Comment