Saturday 16 July 2011

I be a blogger!!!

Well I've finally done it! I've become a blogger! Well...maybe not quite. You can't call yourself a runner after you've run your first mile... but at least I've got the ball rolling!

I always spend my time reading blogs about baking, cooking, health, exercise, etc, and have always wanted to start my own. Hallelujah, I finally have! Hopefully this will be the start of a wonderful blogging pastime. In the future I will think back to this day and wonder aloud, "remember that fantastic Saturday morning when you stared your blog?! What an awesome day that was!!"  :P

So what shall my first post be about? hmmm... how about something that I absolutely adore?! Making dinner from my Clean Eating magazine!

Last night I made the most amazing guacamole fettucine. The recipe is straight from the July 2011 copy of the magazine. For those who haven't encountered Clean Eating before, it is a fantastic collection of healthful, simple, and tasty recipes, and is published every month. The magazine also has a website. The recipe is not vegetarian but can easily be adapted for a vegetarian diet with the omission of the beef strips, or substituting in sauteed tofu.

In fact, I used PC Blue menu meatless beef strips for mine. My family cringes at the mention of anything 'fake meat' like, but I enjoy it! Sorry mom!

However, this was the only change I made in the entire recipe.

Guacamole Fettuccine with Sautéed Beef Strips


  • 8 oz whole-wheat fettucine
  • 1 avocado, peeled and pitted
  • 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
  • ¼ cup 2% plain Greek yogurt
  • ¼ tsp sea salt
  • ½ lb sirloin beef, trimmed of visible fat and cut into ½ inch thick strips
  • 4 cloves garlic chopped
  • 1/3 lb Roma tomatoes, chopped
  • ¼ cup minced cilantro for garnish, optional
Instructions:

One:  Fill a large pot halfway with water and bring to a boil. Prepare fettucine according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.
Two: In a large bowl, add avocado and mash into a smooth cream using a fork. Stir in lime juice, yogurt and salt. Set aside.
Three: In a large nonstick skillet on medium heat, sauté beef for 2 minutes.  Add garlic and cook for 5 more minutes or until strips are cooked through, turning occasionally. Drain beef and garlic in a fine-mesh strainer, then transfer to bowl with avocado mixture.  Add fettucine and toss.
Four: Divide fettucine mixture among 4 plates, then top each with a quarter of tomatoes and garnish with cilantro, if desired.

Nutrients per 2-cup serving:  Calories: 365, total Fat: 10 g, Sat. Fat: 2 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 6 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1.5 g, Carbs: 50 g, Fiber: 4 g, Sugars: 3.5 g, Protein: 22 g, Sodium: 168 mg, Cholesterol: 30 mg

 It was so delicious!! I made a bit extra, and packed it up in serving size containers to freeze for a busy night when time to make dinner is a luxury I don't have. I downloaded these cute freezer labels from www.marthastewart.com to stick on my frozen dinners:


get the cute freezer labels HERE


I might have downloaded them because they will help keep me organized, or I may have done it because they are my favorite colour, green. Either way, I like them :)

Happy living,
~Princess

0 comments:

Post a Comment