Wednesday 20 July 2011

Interval training

Hey!!!
I love going for long runs or bikes during the summer.  In fact, exercising outside is one of the main reasons I look forward to summer. Outdoor activity gives you a chance to clear your mind and pump up some of those feel good endorphins.

But lately I've been trying something new for my cardio. As part of my training, I've been doing interval work outs.
 They can be done on the treadmill

or the bike.

It goes as follows:

DAY 1     (15 seconds @ 100% effort, 15 seconds 80% effort)  repeat 15 times
DAY 2     (30 seconds @ 100% effort, 60 seconds 80% effort) repeat 15 times

On the day two workout, I'm supposed to do 30 seconds at 100% effort! This isn't quite human, so I don't worry if I slow down a little bit toward the end.
A little tip, it is much easier to feel good during your workout if you wear cool shoes. Or cool anything for that matter. I like to wear my new Nike free run shoes:
One glance down at these babies, and I'm ready for another round!

Interval workouts are a great way to feel like you've had a good heart pounding training session even if you only have 20 or so minutes in your day to go to the gym. When you get off that treadmill or bike, you'll feel like you deserve to be on an athletic commercial. Or at the very least, down a smoothie :)
Happy  living,
~Princess

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree--interval training is great for your mind, body, and spirit!

Post a Comment